Pages

Introduction

May 2014.

I've bought a campervan as a 60th birthday present to myself, made some curtains and a patchwork quilt, waved goodbye to my family, and set off. My aim is to explore the coastline of Britain, anti clockwise, starting in Kent. I have no idea what will happen.

Thursday 22 May 2014

Camping at East Runton


When I left Cromer I booked in to the Woodhill Park campsite, just next door in East Runton. It's the biggest site I have been in, stretching from the road to the cliff top, with static holiday homes and the 'touring' section. 
My site, 236, had a Ford Sprinter in it (you have to display your number on the dashboard) and so I went to theirs, 232. The Ford Sprinter was very snazzy -  graphite with tinted windows and a '63 plate. I walked across and said they were on my pitch, but not to worry, I'd stay in theirs. Mr Tubby with pork pie straw hat and a wife-beater vest,  looked ready to kill me, whereas his partner was apologetic. They had a golden retriever, almost everyone seemed to have a dog.
I settled in and admit I felt a bit inadequate. These were really professional campers with garden furniture, not just awnings but tenty bits stuck on the same size as the van, and lots of windbreaks.  There was  a little drinks party going on up the row, and just up from me a lady was sitting outside with a glass of white, doing her embroidery - her husband had the bar set up inside and the footie on the tv. There was a very smart Ducatto Escape with two elderly blond ladies, who set off for a walk with their dogs - a yorkie and a poodle. Early evening drinks time had a real buzz - hairdryers blowing, glasses clinking, children playing football, and good cooking smells. The campsite facilities were the best yet - immaculate shower block, even a defibrilator on the wall outside,  a good shop, and WIFI!
Soon Mr and Mrs Ford Sprinter had got the chairs out (in matching graphite, as were the dog bowls) and when he opened the double doors at the back (vans park back to back) they had a wall of storage facing out: slots for the folding chairs and table on the left, and on the right hanging for jackets and storage pockets holding their work shoes etc. I'd have given a lot to check out the décor behind those tinted windows. 
Baa looked a bit forlorn sitting on her own - each pitch had room for a vehicle, tent and sitting area. When it's nice I sit with the sliding door open, but must get some chairs for when it's hotter. They'll have to be of the umbrella variety, as I have nowhere to store the folding ones.
I had a delicious Cromer crab for supper and a glass of white.

No comments: